14 min read
Knowledge Workers Are Going Mobile. Here’s 3 Reasons Why It Matters
March 14, 2019
5 min read
Think about it – how many times have you looked at your smartphone today?
Mobile adoption has come a long way since the debut of the iPhone back in 2007. According to Statista, the number of mobile phone users is forecast to reach a whopping 4.68 billion worldwide in 2019 — which is more than half of the world population.
Among mobile users, apps are one of the most popular mediums, accounting for 57 percent of all digital media consumed.
In the office, increased use of mobile apps can lend a hand to boosting personal and professional productivity. Research shows that around 60 percent of employees use apps for work-related activities, and 71 percent of employees spend two or more hours a week accessing company information on their mobile device.
Knowledge workers are uniquely positioned to benefit from mobile apps because of the challenges they face on an everyday basis:
- The executive team: According to Harvard Business Review, CEOs spend around eight percent of their time traveling. It can be hard enough to lock down an meeting with a busy CEO, and downright impossible when they’re on the road. But when you’re looking for approvals on a time-sensitive report or presentation (think earnings season, for example) you need to make sure you can communicate and collaborate effectively.
- IR roadshows: Investor roadshows are one of the most important responsibilities of an IR team. Roadshows require consistent travel, along with the ability to take notes, prepare and review presentations with leadership, and handle follow-ups — all while in transit. To make sure you’re up to speed, you need a solid strategy to manage workflows wirelessly, wherever you are.
- Competitive and Market Intelligence teams: Competitive intelligence teams are no stranger to travel either. Trade shows and industry events are a great way to keep tabs on competitor developments and emerging trends. But if you’ve ever been on a trade show floor, you know space to sprawl out with your laptop is scarce — especially if you’re trying to keep a low profile and take notes on-the-go.
Regardless of your specialty, research plays a vital role in any knowledge worker’s day-to-day.
Search via mobile app makes it easier to:
- Stay up-to-date on the latest trends. The digital age has made data more accessible than ever, but keeping tabs on everything you need can often be overwhelming. Inboxes become cluttered with irrelevant information, and important insights are often lost among incoming data points yet to be vetted. Mobile apps let you take your workflow with you, with customizable watchlists and alerts delivered in real-time. This way, you can keep tabs on the latest trends and relevant insights without having to dig through your inbox.
- Scan searches fast. Mobile search apps give you the power of augmented intelligence, stored conveniently in your pocket. If you need to know as you go, you can trust that you’ll always have immediate access to intelligent search across diverse content sets, delivered in seconds.
- Store data you can access on your own time. Mobile apps allow you to access and store your data wherever you are, on your own time. Working out of the office, or during off-hours? No problem. Data storage and offline capabilities give you accessibility even when the Internet is down. That means being able to work when you’re on a plane, or getting up to speed on your subway ride to work.
If you haven’t checked it out already — we’ve released a new and improved AlphaSense app to keep you smart whenever and wherever you go. Current clients can download the AlphaSense iOS app here. Or, if you want to learn more about improving your research on mobile, download our guide below:
More like this
10 min read
5 min read