Factiva is a business information and research tool owned by Dow Jones & Company, a subsidiary of News Corp. It helps companies identify new opportunities and power strategic business decisions by providing access to a global news database and deep archives within a research platform.
Factiva holds content from over 30,000 premium sources of global news and data, including the Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswire, and Reuters, as well as licensed publications, trade journals, and regional papers from around the world.
Using advanced search, filtering, smart indexing, and sharing tools, users can also access company profiles, corporate financials, and other company documents. With customizable dashboards and alerts, Factiva enables users to easily monitor news and trends related to their industries or areas of interest.
Some of Factiva’s key use cases include:
- Media monitoring and corporate communications
- Advanced analytics and data mining
- Competitive intelligence
- Business development and sales intelligence
- Application development
- Customer engagement and marketing
Overall, Factiva works well for clients looking for a media intelligence tool. This tool is great for tracking the latest news updates in specific industries or companies and for gaining access to a wide breadth of quality media content from a variety of dependable news outlets.
Because of the limitations in content sets outside news and company information, this platform may not be suitable for users looking for a full-scale research solution. Without access to broker reports or expert transcripts, it can be challenging to gain a complete view of a market, industry, or trend. Additionally, Factiva does not utilize artificial intelligence in its platform, features that are often instrumental in saving time and money and increasing confidence in research.
- Provides access to 33,000+ sources of news and information
- Robust search and filtering tools
- Supports APIs and third-party integrations
- Offers customizable dashboard and alerts to track trends and real-time news
- Supports sharing functionalities and newsletters
- Often filters duplicate news and reports
- May not always offer accurate data
- Lacks AI search capability to optimize searches
- No broker research or expert calls available
If you are looking for a more holistic approach to market intelligence and research that goes beyond global news and newswires, below are the best alternatives to Factiva to consider.
AlphaSense is an all-in-one market intelligence platform for organizations and professionals looking to incorporate a full-scale research solution powered by AI search technology and automation. It was recently named the leader in G2’s Winter 2023 Grid Report for Financial Research, beating out all competitors in this category.
AlphaSense has access to 10,000+ premium sources of information, including company documents like SEC filings and global filings, as well as news, trade journals, and regulatory content.
Unlike many other platforms in the industry, AlphaSense also offers access to broker research from top Wall Street analysts and an expert call library that facilitates deeper insight into companies and markets.
These two invaluable perspectives—both the analyst and the expert—are accessible through two exclusive content sets found within AlphaSense:
- Wall Street Insights® – A collection of broker research insights covering multiple sector themes, industries, and companies worldwide from over 1,000 sell-side and independent firms.
- Expert Insights – 35,000+ transcripts of one-on-one calls with customers, professionals, industry experts, former and current executives, and competitors, with the ability to conduct your own 1:1 expert calls for less.
AlphaSense uses proprietary technologies and capabilities to ensure users can access everything they need using unique features like:
AlphaSense also features Smart Synonyms™ technology. This feature is a patented AI search innovation that identifies the search intent behind queries and only surfaces keywords that are relevant to your specific search goals.
Smart Synonyms™ identifies phrases and keywords that are meaningfully related (for example, “ESG investing” and “impact investing”) to provide relevant and useful data for your search query, ensuring you don’t miss even a single critical insight.
Smart Synonyms™ make it easy to find the resources and documents with the keywords that meet your search intentions, cutting the typical energy and time spent on research—freeing research professionals to focus on more high-level analysis and management tasks.
AlphaSense offers real-time alerts and updates on trending companies, industries, and topics of interest. Users get snapshots of multiple companies regularly, enabling them to stay on top of breaking news, market changes, and insights they’re interested in.
Using NLP technology, sentiment analysis identifies shifts in a text’s tone and subjective meaning. It also helps readers identify a document’s positive, neutral, or negative sentiments using color coding. Users can take advantage of this feature to read between the lines in their research and make better informed investment decisions. Users can also track changes in sentiment over time, resulting in a more comprehensive understanding of a company or industry.
Unlike other consumer-grade generative AI (genAI) tools trained on publicly available data, AlphaSense takes an entirely different approach. Our industry-leading suite of generative AI tools is purpose-built to deliver business-grade insights and leans on 10+ years of AI tech development. Our proprietary AlphaSense Large Language Model (ASLLM)—trained specifically on business and financial data—matches or beats the leading third-party LLMs over 90% of the time.
Our suite of tools currently includes:
- Smart Summaries – this feature allows you to glean instant earnings insights—reducing time spent on research during earnings season, quickly capture company outlook, and generate an expert-approved SWOT analysis straight from former competitors, partners, and employees
- Enterprise Intelligence – a first-of-its-kind offering that delivers AlphaSense’s AI-powered search and summarization capabilities to customers’ internal organizational knowledge.
- AlphaSense Assistant – a generative AI chat experience that transforms how users can extract insights from hundreds of millions of premium content sources
Integrations and APIs
It’s now becoming industry standard for many market intelligence platforms to offer integration of internal content containing both structured and unstructured data, but it’s key that this content is indexed and immediately available. A market intelligence platform should also offer the ability to upload new external content sources (such as RSS or web content), so that you can leverage the platform’s analysis tools to pull relevant insights.
AlphaSense provides integration with commonly used programs like OneNote, Sharepoint, Box, and Evernote, enabling streamlined collaboration with members across your organization and improving team productivity. It also allows you to search across all internal and external company content to find key insights, and the proprietary AI technology catches what other platforms miss in a secure and automated way.
Exceptional User Experience
Regardless of your workflow and setup, AlphaSense fits. In addition to an intuitive user-friendly interface to display data and information, it allows professionals to export crucial data to their mobile devices or PCs.
AlphaSense also boasts exceptional customer service. Product specialists are on call 24/7 to assist with putting together searches and answer any product questions, further streamlining research workflows.
- Extensive content database that spans the four key perspectives, including broker research and expert calls
- Incorporates AI search technology, machine learning, and sentiment analysis
- Smart Summaries generative AI feature for earnings and image search
- Automated and customizable alerts
- All-in-one research platform
- User-friendly interface
- Internal messaging and collaboration features
- Support for APIs and integrations
- Supports enterprise-level organizations and teams
- Exceptional 24/7 customer service
- Visualization tools are limited to financial data at this time
- Collaboration tools are limited to users with AlphaSense licenses
S&P Capital IQ
S&P Capital IQ ranks alongside some of the world’s most comprehensive research platforms. It provides users with in-depth data points on public and private corporations and markets. The S&P Capital IQ serves multiple client bases, including governments, private equity, corporations, and academia. Depending on the subscription chosen, users can access market intelligence and information, including
- Data on over 50+ million private markets and companies worldwide
- Sustainability insights
- Aftermarket research insights, filings, and documents
- Breaking market news
- Country risk scores
- Supply chain intelligence
Users can access S&P Capital IQ across multiple devices, including PCs and smartphones. Moreover, they can opt in and receive real-time alerts and notifications, create custom watchlists, and access industry analysis. Capital IQ also supports integration with third-party tools, including Salesforce and Microsoft to ensure a seamless workflow for all team members.
S&P Capital IQ Strengths
- Offers country risk scores and sustainability insights
- Access to millions of data points across industries and countries
- Access to data on both private and public companies worldwide
- Smart search functionality
- Access to breaking news
- 27/7/365 access to customer support
S&P Capital IQ Weaknesses
- A costly option, charging $13,000 per seat annually with a three-seat minimum.
- Lacks expert call library
- Not user-friendly for beginners
Semrush is a top SaaS platform for digital marketing, boasting over 10 million users worldwide and 14 years of market experience.
As one of the go-to solutions in the digital marketing space, Semrush has a client base that comprises SEOs, PPC advertisers, public relations and digital marketing professionals, content marketers, and social media marketers.
Semrush helps users identify emerging search trends, backlink opportunities, competitor analysis, organic and paid search opportunities, keyword rankings, and competitor ad strategies.
Semrush features include:
- Site Audits for technical SEO performance and troubleshooting potential SERP ranking issues.
- Domain Analytics to assess top organic keywords, search engine visibility, traffic, and more.
- Backlink Analysis to evaluate and identify potential link-building opportunities.
- Keyword Research insights for new keyword opportunities and suggestions for new keyword optimization.
- Advertising Research to monitor competitor advertising strategies, keywords, ad copy, and landing pages
- Social Media Management tools for monitoring, scheduling, and tracking posts on social media accounts.
Unlike other options listed, Semrush is the least ideal option for sell or buy-side traders looking for actionable information on private or public companies. However, it can help users research the sentiments and performance of companies across search engines and social media.
- Ideal tool for SEO research and website optimization, particularly for individual users
- Largest keyword and backlink databases on the market
- Uses sentiment analysis in its media monitoring
- Certain competitive intelligence features can only be unlocked with a steep monthly add-on fee
- No access to content sets necessary for market intelligence, such as company documents, news, broker research, and expert calls
- Not suitable for financial services or corporate professionals looking for advanced market insights to drive business strategy and decision-making
Dun and Bradstreet (D&B) Hoovers is an intelligence platform that offers data and analytics solutions for businesses across industries. It provides users with access to a wide range of information on companies, industries, and business executives. Examples of information available on its platform include company profiles, financial data, news and media mentions, and more.
Businesses of all sizes use D&B Hoovers to conduct research on potential partners, suppliers, and customers, as well as to gain insight into market trends and competitive landscapes.
D&B offers financial analytics, enterprise risk management, credit intelligence and country insight solutions. Some of its key platform features include:
- Company Profiles including company history, financial data, key executives, and more
- Industry Reports into market trends and competitive landscapes, including information on industry size, growth rates, and key players
- Contact Information for key company executives, including email addresses and phone numbers
- News and Media Monitoring for mentions of companies and industries, providing users with real-time insights into market trends and breaking news events
- Data Integration with multiple third-party data sources and tools, including CRMs, marketing automation platforms, and other data analysis tools
- Prospecting Tools that allow users to identify potential business partners, suppliers, and customers based on a variety of criteria, such as company size, location, and industry
- Access to in-depth data and analytics on companies and businesses
- Enables networking through its prospecting tool
- Offers real-time data on companies and industries
- Supports third-party integrations
- Offers insights and intelligence for both buy and sell-side clients
- No data on SEC or company filings
- No sentiment analysis
- Does not support smart AI search functionality
- No expert call library
- No broker research
Statista is an online research and intelligence solution that provides statistical data and insights on a wide range of topics, including business, finance, and technology. With access to over one million statistics, forecasts, dossiers, and infographics from more than 22,500 sources, Statista is one of the largest research platforms available.
Statista is widely used by businesses, researchers, governments, and journalists to access and analyze data on markets, industries, and consumer behavior.
Statista uses an intuitive format to present its data, often using charts, graphs, and other visualizations. Users can search for data using keywords, industry, or geographic location. Moreover, they can also create custom charts and reports using data from Statista.
Some of its features include:
- Access to free and premium statistics
- Access to up-to-date reports and studies
- Automated citations
- Ask Statista research help is available within 48 hours of request
- Insights for over 720 markets in 150+ countries
- Publication rights
- Access to in-depth research, studies, reports, and statistics from multiple industries
- Search functionality for industries, companies and keywords
- Data presented in a user-friendly format
- Subscription comes with full publication rights
- No sentiment analysis available
- No AI search functionality
- No expert call library
- No broker research
- No access to networking features and prospecting tools
How to Choose an Alternative to Factiva
Factiva may meet some expectations and be the perfect media monitoring tool, but if you are interested in holistic market intelligence, you may need a platform that offers more diverse content sets and more advanced research capabilities. Consider the following benchmarks if you’re considering a shift from Factiva:
- Determine your specific needs and requirements for a market and business intelligence platform. Do you just need access to news and journals, or could your research benefit from access to more varied sources? Choose the platform that offers you the most bang for your buck, in terms of access to information and data.
- Compare the features, pricing, and user reviews of alternatives to Factiva. Some platforms like S&P Capital IQ may offer deeper data insights and metrics, but they’re not affordable for a small business. Similarly, one platform could go above and beyond the needs of a certain job function or team, but barely scratch the surface of another’s. Make sure you consider feedback from teams and individuals with goals most similar to yours.
- Look for user-friendly search tools that make it easy to find and access relevant content. Might you benefit from something like AlphaSense’s Smart Synonyms™ and Sentiment Analysis features to help speed up and improve your research? Is there a platform that could dramatically boost your ROI and help you get results you couldn’t on your own?
- Evaluate the quality and reliability of the data and sources the platform provides. Your research and analysis are only as good as the data you are using to find and validate the answers to your questions.
- Consider the level of customer support and training offered by the platform. More is always better.
- Check if the platform provides data integration with other tools and platforms you are currently using. Integrations are key in improving your team’s workflow and productivity.