When making critical investment decisions or conducting in-depth market research, the right intelligence tool can be the difference between success or financial fallout. Most business professionals are inundated with information overload. Even if they have access to all the right data, the task of analyzing it and extracting the right insights is often a manual one, fraught with fragmented data from consumer grade search engines.
With the right market intelligence tool, you can shorten the time to insight and expedite the research process—without sacrificing quality or comprehensiveness. Ideally, your tool should maximize the amount of data you are able to analyze while minimizing information overload and research blind spots.
But market intelligence platforms are not all made equal, and not every platform will work for every business. The breadth and depth of content, how advanced the search technology is, and how the features and capabilities align with your unique business needs and budget are all important factors in selecting the right platform.
Below, we compare Factiva with Feedly, exploring who each platform works best for and where each falls short. We also compare the two with our all-in-one market intelligence platform to show how AlphaSense shortens time to insight and meets research and business needs in a more comprehensive, robust way.
The platform comparisons are based around the following criteria:
- Ratings and reviews
Here is an overview of each platform:
Factiva is a search engine and business intelligence software owned by Dow Jones & Company, a subsidiary of News Corp. Companies. It helps companies identify new opportunities and make strategic business decisions by providing access to a global news database and deep archives within a research platform.
Factiva holds content from over 30,000 premium trusted sources, including full-text news stories from the Dow Jones Newswire, The New York Times, Reuters, and other licensed newsrooms and publications worldwide. And with advanced search, sharing, filtering, and smart indexing tools, users can easily uncover key intelligence insights from news and company documents.
Overall, Factiva works well for clients looking for a media intelligence tool. This tool is great for tracking the latest news updates in specific industries or companies and for gaining access to a wide breadth of quality media content.
Because of the limitations in content sets outside news and company information, this platform may not be suitable for those who need a full-scale research solution. Without access to broker reports or expert transcripts, it can be challenging to gain a complete view of a market, industry, or trend. Additionally, Factiva does not utilize artificial intelligence (AI) in its platform, features that are often instrumental in saving time and money and increasing confidence in research.
Factiva’s key use cases include:
- Competitive intelligence
- Media monitoring and corporate communications
- Sales funnels and business development
- Business development and sales intelligence
- Application development
- Advanced analytics and data mining
- Customer engagement and marketing
- Has access to over 33,000 news archives and sources worldwide
- Supports third-party integrations and APIs
- Supports collaborations and newsletters
- Customizable dashboard and alerts
- Robust search and filtering tools
- Trend tracking and news sentiment analysis
- May encounter duplicate news and reports
- No broker research, expert calls, or ESG reports
- Lacks AI search optimization capabilities
- Data isn’t always accurate
Feedly is a web-based news aggregator and Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feed reader, which helps users track insights across the web. Feedly users can track the latest news, WordPress blogs, podcasts, newsletters, websites, YouTube channels, LinkedIn, and other social media accounts to stay updated on local, national, and global events.
Users can create personalized news and RSS feeds from multiple news sources’ latest articles and updates. These news feeds are collected and presented in a unified format, depending on topics and user interests. Feedly makes it easy for users to track insights from multiple sources without needing to read everything, and it even offers access to news from premium content sites (for an additional fee).
Feedly also recently added the Feedly AI feature, which automates the curation process by cutting out the noise and flagging all relevant insights from all over the web.
This platform is primarily geared toward individual users who are looking for an RSS aggregator to help them keep track of various news sources. This platform is less suited for enterprises, as it only provides access to public, low-value content, and it does not aggregate any content outside news.
Feedly’s value offering includes:
- News aggregator and RSS reader
- Personalized news feed
- Subscriptions to favorite websites and sources
- Organized content categories and folders
- Articles can be marked as read and saved for later
- Supports sharing across social media and other channels
- Clean and intuitive interface
- Available on web browsers, iOS, and Android devices
- Supports Integration with productivity tools like Evernote and Pocket
- Team collaboration options are available for paid users.
- Aggregates news posts from hundreds of sources
- Teams can collaborate and share insights
- AI features search and flags critical insights for you
- Available on multiple platforms
- Supports subscriptions to favorite content
- Offers email alerts and push notifications
- Duplicate information from multiple sources
- Information overload risks
- No access to broker research or expert calls is available
- No proprietary content sources, company filings, or research
- AI is a newer feature and not yet as robust as competing platforms
- Premium content features are only available for an extra upgrade cost
- Not suitable for enterprises
AlphaSense is an all-in-one market intelligence platform for corporate and financial services professionals who are looking to implement a full-scale research solution, rooted in AI technology and smart automation capabilities. This award-winning platform is consistently rated by G2 and TrustRadius as the market leader in both financial research and market intelligence.
AlphaSense provides access to more than 10,000 premium content sources, including news and trade journals, global and SEC filings, ESG reports, earnings transcripts, company presentations, and press releases.
AlphaSense also offers two unique content offerings that create a massive competitive advantage for users:
- AlphaSense Expert Insights – A 40,000+ expert call library with transcripts of interviews with former and current executives, professionals, industry experts, competitors, and customers.
- Wall Street Insights® – A curated collection of indexed and searchable equity research covering companies, industries, and global sector themes, from more than 1,000 sell-side and independent firms.
AlphaSense is also powered by smart search capabilities, ensuring users are the first to know of any market-moving event. They include:
Smart Synonyms™ technology is an AI-based feature exclusive to AlphaSense, which recognizes the user intent behind every search and delivers results for both the exact search terms and related keywords.
At the same time, this technology recognizes when results are not relevant to the search intent and automatically filters them out, removing unnecessary noise and eliminating hours wasted on potentially fruitless searches.
With AlphaSense, users can get real-time notifications and alerts that keep them updated on new trends, emerging news, and market and company movements. AlphaSense generates and sends frequent snapshots of companies, keeping users abreast on intelligence, critical insights, and market changes.
Instant Company Insights
Using Search Analytics and Company Tearsheets, users get quick and in-depth information on any public and most private companies That way, users enhance the reach of their search queries across multiple industries, regions, and document types. AlphaSense focuses on and anchors users’ research capabilities, providing critical insights needed to accelerate market analysis and decision-making.
Sentiment analysis is a natural language processing (NLP)-based feature that mines content and identifies the sentiment behind the language in earnings and expert calls. The text is then color-coded for users to indicate positive, neutral, and negative sentiments.
AlphaSense also gives each search term and document a sentiment score, illustrating how positively or negatively a company or the market at large feels about a particular topic, as well as how sentiment has evolved over time. Sentiment analysis enables users to pick up on shifts in tone that could signal upcoming market movements and gain a deeper understanding of an industry or trend.
Unlike other generative AI (genAI) tools that are focused on consumer users and trained on publicly available content across the web, AlphaSense takes an entirely different approach. As a platform purpose-built to drive the world’s biggest business and financial decisions, our newest Smart Summaries feature leverages our 10+ years of AI tech development and draws from a curated collection of high-quality business content.
With Smart Summaries, you can glean instant earnings insights—reducing time spent on research during earnings season, quickly capture company outlook, and generate an expert-approved SWOT analysis straight from former competitors, partners, and employees.
- All-in-one research and intelligence platform
- Extensive content database that spans the four key perspectives of market research, including broker research and expert calls
- Incorporates sentiment analysis, NLP, generative AI, and AI search technology
- Smart Summaries generative AI feature for earnings and image search
- Automated and customizable alerts
- User-friendly interface
- Internal messaging and collaboration features
- Support for APIs and integrations
- Access to the expert call library comes at an additional cost
- Private company data access is limited
- Broker reports are not available to all users
Get started today
Trial AlphaSense to see how it compares to Factiva and Feedly.Start my free trial
Ratings & Reviews
- Access to real-time data
- Access to over 33,000+ data sources
- Web design and app development features
- Intuitive interface and great customer support
- Duplicate news reports
- No direct links to some data source
- Potential for outdated data sources
- May be slower than other similar solutions.
- Access to real-time data via RSS feeds
- Available on iOS, Android, and web app
- Intuitive interface for users
- Offers content on emerging topics like AI, ESG, and cloud computing
- Duplicate news reports
- Intermittent customer support
- Potential for outdated data sources despite AI
- Comprehensive data and analysis on public and private markets
- Real-time data availability
- Easy-to-find relevant and high-quality results
- Intuitive interface and great customer support
- Smart AI-powered search leads to quicker, more accurate insights
- Visualization tools are limited to financial data at this time
- Lack of collaborative tools for knowledge management
As per third-party sources, Factiva plans start at about $3,000-5,000.
Feedly has a free tier. However, the Pro plan starts at $6/month for an annual plan and $8.25 for the Pro Plus plan. It also features an enterprise plan with an annual contract.
A Better Alternative to Factiva and Feedly?
Factiva and Feedly are excellent business information and research tools, particularly for users looking for a web listening tool to keep track of various news sources and publicly available documents.
But for enterprise clients who need to go deeper with their research and analysis, and who want access to proprietary and premium content sets, AlphaSense is the clear choice. Only AlphaSense aggregates content from all four key perspectives of market research—indexed, searchable, and all in one place.
Additionally, AlphaSense is powered by advanced AI search technology, which dramatically cuts down research time, increases confidence, and gives you a clear competitive edge.
AlphaSense is the best choice for you if:
- You are looking for a platform that can be utilized across your organization for various strategic goals, not just competitive intelligence and web listening.
- You need a platform that removes the tedious, manual parts of research and surfaces relevant, real-time insights, saving you precious time for deeper analysis and strategy.
- You are interested in accessing an expansive content universe of proprietary, premium, private, and public content inaccessible to the general public and many of your peers.
- You want a platform that will replace all your other research avenues and be the one-stop shop for all your market intelligence needs.
- You want a platform that will work behind the scenes to ensure you stay caught up and get all critical information, with customizable real-time alerts, watchlists, and dashboards.
- You are looking for a platform purpose-built for an enterprise-level organization.